24 April 2014

X is for Xanthene...

Okay so I struggled with this one, I’m near the end of my 26 posts and I mean X is hardly an easy one!! My choices were basically x-ray, xylophone or a Xiaosaurus which hardly relate to fashion, beauty and lifestyle. So instead of trawling the internet for a random brand that may not be of much interest I decided to learn a new word. So here it is, Xanthene!!

Before I go into the techy bit about what this word is, for those who just want to scan and be shortly impressed by my discovery of this word, it is a chemical compound that is put into dyes which is then used to dye fabric! Cool hey! And there was me thinking I was going to have to make up what an extinct dinosaur or a xylophone had to do with fashion!! Haha…feel free to read on and swat upon your science!! J My little brother who is studying chemistry tried to go into further detail about it as I asked him a few questions about it, but it kind of flew over my head! Lol


I chose this particular word as the derivatives of xanthene are commonly referred to collectively as Xanthines, and among other uses the basis of a class of dyes which includes fluorescein, eosins and rhodamines. Xanthene dyes tend to be fluorescent, yellow to pink and bluish red, brilliant dyes. Many xanthene dyes can be prepared by condensation of derivatives of phthalic anhydride with derivatives of resorcinol or 3-aminophenol, so the new word really does relate to the fashion industry, just the technical production of fabrics!

The meaning of what it is and the technical’s:

It is a yellow organic heterocyclic compound. It is organic because it contains carbon. The heterocyclic compound basically means that it is a series of atoms connected to form a loop or a ring. Its chemical formula is C13H10O. It is soluble in diethyl ether. Its melting point is 101-102 ◦C and its boiling point is 310-312 ◦C. Xanthene is used as a fungicide and it is also useful in intermediate organic synthesis. I have taken some of this information from the source like below and added some from research I had done myself!


Happy Thursday!
Peace & Love xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Vixen Fashion!! Thank you for stopping by and giving me a read! If you're going to leave me a little note I shall reply as soon as I can! Hope you enjoy...Peace & Love...Vicky xx